A summary of the services included in your membership
In 2019, 99.9%* of exchanges occurred without any problem reported by the host. In the rare cases when things didn't go as expected, all our HomeExchange members are covered by our guarantees. You can find here the list of the services included in your membership:
What happens when my host cancels my exchange?
We know a cancellation is a stressful situation, don’t worry, our team is here to help you !
1. Your GuestPoints will be returned to your account automatically.
2. The Support Team is daily informed about cancellations, we will contact you. If the team hasn’t contacted you within 72h or if your exchange is starting in less than 4 days, don’t hesitate to contact our team at email@example.com
3. Please do not book any paying accommodation before talking with a member of the team. We will guide you and help you find a substitute exchange
4. Once you get a positive answer, our team is here to help you finalize the new exchange!
5. If we cannot find a substitute exchange and you wish to cancel your trip, we will reimburse your non-refundable fees directly related to the exchange (tickets for the train, plane, etc.) up to 100 € /night**
6. If we cannot find a substitute exchange and you want to pay for an alternative accommodation (a hotel, for example), we will reimburse lodging expenses, up to 100 € /night
*Refer to paragraph (X) of Service HomeExchange https://www.homeexchange.com/p/service-plus-termsofuse-en
**Refer to paragraph (VII) & (VIII) of Service HomeExchange “amount and condition of cover in case of (...) cancelation by the host
Source: internal study from HomeExchange
The application of our guarantees are subject to our HomeExchange Service Conditions.
What happens if they are some material damages in my home or in the home I am staying in ?
Cover in the event of property damage as a host:
1. Contact your guest in order to understand what happened and block the deposit. Please rest assured that your guest's deposit will not be withdrawn from their account immediately. HomeExchange will first be in contact with both parties to discuss the issue.
2. Contact the Support Team, if you wish to claim compensation for damage, we will need supporting documents in order to justify your request (pictures, invoices/quotations etc.). The application of our guarantees are subject to our HomeExchange Service Conditions*
If you are on an exchange as a guest and you happen to damage something in the home, please contact your host and the Support Team.
*Service HomeExchange paragraph (II)
What happens when the house of my host is substandard or inaccurate?
To avoid any misunderstanding make sure to communicate well with your host before finalizing, and carefully read the listing! Nevertheless, those situations can happen, here is how we proceed :
1. Contact your host in order to discuss the situation with him. Very often, a solution can easily be found.
2. In case no solution can be found, contact the Support Team with the following elements: clear description of the problem you are facing with pictures or videos that are necessary for us to understand and assess the situation.
3. Our team will get back to you and if needed we will help you find another home exchange. You can find here the list of criteria for substandard or inaccurate homes.* The application of our guarantees are subject to our HomeExchange Service Conditions.
4. In case substandard or inaccuracy criteria are met, our team will help you search for an alternative exchange. If our team doesn’t manage to find another home exchange, you will be able to benefit from our financial guarantees for a remplacement accommodation: we will reimburse the charges you paid for the accommodation, up to 100 € / night**
Please do not book any paying accommodation before talking with the Support Team.
*Service HomeExchange paragraph (IX)
**Service HomeExchange paragraph (VIII)
I hosted guests on HomeExchange, what happens if I discover that some of my belongings are missing?
1. Contact your guest in order to clarify the situation: items might have been moved around! If needed, contact quickly the Support Team after the end of the exchange to inform us about the situation.
2. If you would like to claim financial compensation for the theft, click on "Keep the deposit". This button will appear in the Conversation page once your exchange is finished. Please rest assured that your guest's deposit will not be withdrawn from their account immediately. HomeExchange will first be in contact with both parties to discuss the issue.
3. We will need you to send us some supporting documents (police report for the case, original invoice, attestation of honesty.)* to trigger the potential application of our guarantees. The application of our guarantees are subject to our HomeExchange Service Conditions.
*Service HomeExchange paragraph (IV)